PARK96 ICE UPDATE: Friday, December 2
Condition: All ice surfaces are open. Happy Skating
PARK96 ICE UPDATE: Thursday, November 24, 2022
Condition: NOT OPEN YET
The weather is looking fantastically cold next week. Our goal is to have the leisure rink ready for the first weekend in December. The hockey rink and pathways will follow the week after. All ice surfaces could be ready for the December 9 Park96 Family Christmas Skating Party.
PARK96 ICE MAKING PRACTICES
- Typically the Park staff doesn’t consider making ice during a November cold snap because it usually warms up again. The November sun is still high in the sky so a bit of wind and above freezing temperatures evaporate away the hard work of making ice.
- Park96 believes in opening ice skating when we have the best chance for maintaining the ice for 8 weeks straight and hopefully 15 weeks (our record). Efficient use of our resources is valued over bragging rights.
- Park96 does not close the ice surfaces once opened. Ice surfaces are “closed” only for snow clearing and once it becomes dangerous in (hopefully) late March.
- The only criteria for starting to make ice each season is the weather. Staff weigh the goal of opening first with opening and staying open.
SNOW CLEARING SCHEDULE
- The Park96 parking lot, the public sidewalks and the walking areas around the main club house are first on the snow clearing schedule because this is a safety issue.
- The hockey rink is the next priority because pucks get lost under fresh snow and damage equipment.
- Next up is the leisure rink because it is the most popular ice surface and skating with snow on the ice is possible.
- Finally, the pathways, skating oval behind the hockey rink and new this year, family curling.
SUMMARY OF SNOW CLEARING PRIORITIES
Around the main club house